Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Update

My creative juices must not be flowing today, because I can't think of a better title than that. Anyways...

Our ultrasound today revealed normal fluid, bladders, and dopplers (bloodflow). All of our prayers continue to work. Yay!

Since it had been 3 weeks since the last time the babies' growth was checked, they also took these measurements today. Baby A is weighing in at a whopping 2 pounds, 3 ounces, and Baby B at 1 pound, 13 ounces. This puts Baby A at the 25th percentile and Baby B at less than the 3rd percentile.
"I'm just a little peanut!"
Since she's still growing, our doctor isn't immediately concerned about Baby B's size, but it warrants closer monitoring than what we've been having. Being less than the 10th percentile for weight, she's considered "growth-restricted," which puts her at higher risk for developing problems in utero. If we start to see evidence that she's having trouble (there is none now) or her growth stops, it will be time to deliver both babies. Next week Wednesday, we will have our normal weekly ultrasound with a nonstress test, and starting the following week, we will go to Ann Arbor twice a week, with a nonstress test scheduled on the extra day, which always happens to be Fridays. Also next week, we will have a tour of the NICU and our fetal echocardiogram, which is just a fancy word for a really detailed ultrasound of the babies' hearts. Like I said before, from what our docs can tell, there aren't any issues with their hearts, but this test will tell us for sure.

I've been developing some swelling in my feet and hands (I pried my wedding ring off today, and it's not going back on any time soon... and yes, I have cankles... real sexy.) On top of that, my blood pressure is up about 20 points from where it normally is. It's still not in the range to diagnose preeclampsia, but we are now being watched closely for that too. I had labs checked today and they all came back normal, so they'll use today's numbers as a baseline and check every so often to make sure I'm not developing preeclampsia. We are very thankful that everything is checking out so far!

We're praying that these babies get 6 more weeks in there, but with possible growth issues and my blood pressure being a concern, we have no idea how much longer they'll have. As an added precaution with all the news we got today, I've officially been taken off work until after my maternity leave. I'm going to do my best to rest, rest, rest in hopes that my blood pressure will stabilize and I won't go into labor anytime soon.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for continuing to pray for our sweet little girls!
Nate, Sara, and the Babies who shall remain unnamed. :)

2 comments:

  1. We will miss you at work, but take good care of yourself and your precious little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, you need to take care of yourself as well as those sweet baby girls! Prayers for you all hun. May God continue to protect the babies and keep them in His care! Be strong, keep the Faith and lean not on your own understanding! We are all excited for you and Nate!!

    ReplyDelete