Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Back to Ann Arbor We Go!

This morning was our first appointment with our high risk doctor in Grand Rapids. We had a pretty comprehensive ultrasound, which told us that Baby A now weighs a full pound and Baby B weighs about 13 ounces. They're getting bigger!! Our ultrasound went well, except for one number that was a little concerning to us... baby A's bloodflow through her brain. It was quite a bit higher than last week, but not as high as it was prior to needing the blood transfusion. Either way, we knew it had gone the wrong direction since last week. Because of this concern, our doctor consulted with our doctor in Ann Arbor, who decided she'd like to see us and check things out. I just got off the phone with her, and she explained that different ultrasound technicians use different techniques to get this measurement that could produce different readings, so it might not be a huge deal, but we all feel it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm going to work tomorrow, and we will leave late tomorrow afternoon for an appointment with her on Thursday morning. If the baby does need another blood transfusion, it will occur on Thursday afternoon or Friday. As you can imagine, we are a little worried, and we are praying that Baby A is getting all the blood she needs, but we are trying to stay positive. We're happy that, if this is a concern, it was caught early and they can intervene soon.

We are so thankful that our doctors talk to one another and have our best interests at heart instead of assuming they have all the answers. The other really cool thing that happened today was that our doctor prayed with us before ending our appointment -- not only for healing for our babies but for Nate and me as well. We just thought that was awesome, and we haven't heard of doctors doing this before.

In other pregnancy news... Just in the last 2 weeks or so, I am feeling both babies move around a lot, and last night while lying in bed I felt them with my hand on my tummy for the first time! After our ultrasound today, I know that both babies have their heads down, and Baby A is on my left and Baby B on my right. So now when I feel movements, I know which baby it is and I can make a guess as to what body part I am feeling!

Here is a cute one of our little peanut, Baby B.
And now, by popular demand... a few pictures of my growing baby bump:


4 weeks

10 weeks

16 weeks

18 weeks

20 weeks
21 weeks
We will update you as soon as we know what (if anything) is going on!
The Vander Ploegs

1 comment: