Monday, January 13, 2014

Headed in the Right Direction...

Our appointment this morning was short and sweet, and one of the most positive we've had since starting this journey! Our ultrasound was performed by one of the OB fellows (who was also in our surgery on Thursday) and our main surgeon.

Good news we received:
  • The fluid levels around Baby B are now considered normal!
  • Baby B's bladder is still visible.
  • The fluid levels around Baby A remain stable, even with the decreased bloodflow.
  • Both babies are VERY active.
  • The speed of bloodflow through Baby A's brain has decreased from the 70s to the 40s. The way they look at this is in "multiples of the median," or how far off it is from the average at any given gestational age. On Thursday before our transfusion, the speed of bloodflow was three times the average. Today, it was 1.8 times the average. Anything less than 1.5 is considered normal! As I think I said in my last post, it takes a while for the blood to absorb, so we are happy with this improvement, even though it's not quite "normal."
  • While we can tell some of the blood from the transfusion into Baby A's abdomen has absorbed into the bloodstream, there is still quite a bit more to go. Because of this, the doctors believe that the bloodflow will continue to improve. We were told not to be surprised if it was within normal range the next time we look.
  • Last but not least, I get to go back to work!! Our surgeon is allowing me to work two 8-hour days this week and reevaluate next week. I still have to lay low when I'm at home and take it easy (sit-down work only) when I'm at work. I will take any opportunity I can get to get out of this house!
The speed of bloodflow through Baby B's brain remains slow, which seemed to be more concerning to Nate and me than to the docs. They seem to believe that this will improve as Baby A's bloodflow improves. In addition, they say that babies can compensate for extra bloodflow (like Baby B) much more effectively than they can for too little bloodflow (like Baby A.)

We are beyond ecstatic to have gotten such great news today. We pray that the bloodflow issues continue to resolve and that, with increased activity, I won't have any signs of preterm labor. If I do, it's back to the couch for me! We are going back next week Tuesday (my birthday) for another ultrasound. Our surgeon is going to compile a list of great places to eat in Ann Arbor so we can have a birthday lunch together after the appointment. :)

Thanks for all the prayers!!

Love,
The VanderPloeg 4

All snuggled up! We are so in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment